Steve Young Family Law Steve Young Family Law


If you need help in court, or out of court, in family law or other legal matters, then why not consider using a McKenzie Friend?


  • can't get legal aid?
  • can't afford a lawyer?
  • want to save money?




I may be able to help you.


If you choose to use my McKenzie Friend service, then there are differences from using a lawyer service. In my capacity as a McKenzie Friend...


I can...

  • help you to achieve at least the same results as when using a lawyer*;
  • sit with you in court and offer quiet advice**;
  • take notes and help with case documents and papers in court;
  • offer advice out of court;
  • help to prepare your case for court;
  • do most of the things a lawyer can do.


I cannot...

  • speak for you in court, unless a judge grants me a 'right of audience'. This is sometimes granted to McKenzie Friends, but can never be guaranteed.
  • sign court applications, letters, documents, or start legal proceedings on your behalf, unless a judge grants me a 'right to conduct litigation'. This is rarely granted to McKenzie Friends.


 I am...

  • a member of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx);
  • experienced in the legal process, through many years of assisting litigants and in attending court hearings;
  • always keeping my legal expertise, knowledge, and training up to date;
  • more cost effective than using lawyer services.


* A McKenzie Friend is not a complete substitute for qualified legal advice and/or legal representation in court. For some people, or in some legal matters, it may not be a suitable alternative at all. I am happy to advise litigants on the suitability of my services in relation to their individual circumstances. In some circumstances, you may need to use a lawyer. Where this is the case, I can also assist you.


** A litigant is entitled to have 'reasonable assistance' in court. It is generally accepted that a McKenzie Friend may sit in a court hearing with a litigant, but this is not an absolute right, and a judge, or a party to the proceedings, may object in some instances.

07714 003665


or use our contact form.

Print Print | Sitemap
© 2009-2014: Family Law Services/Your McKenzie Friend